Thursday, May 10, 2018

My Genetic Genealogy Interview, WBAL-TV

A few weeks back, I was interviewed by Mindy Basara of WBAL-TV, Baltimore's local NBC affiliate, on genetic genealogy.  The result aired last night.



Some of what made it into the final one were stories about how genealogy saved my life and how I found out my grandfather's aunt wasn't killed in the Holocaust--all because of genetic genealogy tests.

During the interview, I stressed that 23AndMe only tests for 3 (of the thousands) BRCA mutations, so anyone with a family history of cancer should talk to a genetic counselor about testing.  That didn't make it into the final cut, but it's important to note.

You can watch what made the cut here.


Note:  I'm on Twitter.  Follow me (@larasgenealogy).

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

4 comments:

  1. Lara this is awesome..You are amazing! Thank you for helping the genetic genealigy community with a positive slant amidst all the controversy brewing right now. And thank you for sharing your journey with us. I always learn from you. Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara, I'm always inspired by what you report. I will be testing the DNA of two cousins and wondering how Homeland Security will look at the DNA kits I'll be carrying on board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have carried many DNA kits on airplanes. Never a problem yet!

      Delete