Sunday, October 1, 2017

Mapping my DNA, October 2017 Edition

Enough of my relatives with known relationships have taken DNA test so that I'm able to attribute the vast majority of my genome to specific ancestors.  (If you're a relative of mine reading this, talk to me about how you can test and be included in future posts like this one and help fill in the gaps!)  Thanks to Kitty Cooper and her Chromosome Mapper tool for automating much of this!

Because of endogamy, I'm only including shared segments 10cM or greater.  This doesn't completely eliminate the chance that some of these segments are in common due to a relationship other than the known one, but it should help.  After removing those smaller segments, I'm able to attribute the following segments of my genome to specific ancestors:
Which Segments from Which Ancestor(s)?
So whose DNA helped me to make sense of this?

Father's Paternal Side

Yechiel & Kreina Suttleman

My great-great grandfather Yechiel Suttleman was married to three times; descendants of his first and third wives have tested.  Since I'm descended from his first wife (Kreina), segments shared with cousins descended from the third wife can be attributed to Yechiel himself, whereas segments shared with relatives descended from Kreina can be attributed to Yechiel & Kreina Suttleman as a couple.
Tested descendants of Yechiel Suttleman; those included in the analysis are in yellow

Hillel & Hinda Diamond

Hillel and Hinda Diamond were my great-great grandparents.  In addition to my immediate family, descendants of my grandfather's aunt Jennie/Shaindel (who we originally located through DNA) and more recently those of my Uncle Leibish have been tested.  Segments that they share with me can be attributed to Hillel and Hinda.
Tested descendants of Hillel & Hinda Diamond; those included in the analysis are in yellow

Avraham Tzvi & Tzivia Diamond

Two of my father's paternal first cousins have tested. Both are descended from the two couples mentioned above--both Yechiel & Kreina Suttleman as well as Hillel & Hinda Diamond.  DNA that they share with me but which the cousins in yellow above do not can be attributed to my great grandparents. Avraham Tzvi & Tzivia (nee Suttleman) Diamond.
Tested descendants of Avraham Tzvi & Tzivia Diamond; those included in the analysis are in yellow

Father's Maternal Side

Rafael & Devorah Lazovnik / Chaim Asher & Chaya Garber

Few of my paternal grandmother's relatives have tested.  One of the four who have tested is related to my grandmother through her father; the others are related through my grandmother's maternal grandmother.  DNA that I share with Ben can be attributed to my great-great-great grandparents Rafael & Devorah Lazovnik; DNA shared with Hale and Elise can be attributed to my great-great-great grandparents Chaya Asher and Chaya (nee Veiner) Garber.
Tested descendants of Rafael & Devorah Lazovnik and Chaim Asher & Chaya Garber; those included in the analysis are in yellow

Father's Parents

Sonia Diamond / Paul Diamond

I've tested my grandmother Sonia, so any DNA that she shares with me can be attributed to her--minus the DNA that I share with Ben, Hale, Tobey & Elise (above), since that can be attributed further back.  As for my grandfather Paul, I have tested two of my father's siblings.  Any DNA I share with them that isn't shared by my grandmother or any of the cousins listed above can be attributed directly to him, other than that DNA that I can attribute further back.

Mother's Maternal Side

Shmuel Tzvi Hirsch & Roza Eizikovics / Chaim & Mindel Joshowitz

Two descendants of my great-great-great grandparents Shmuel Tzvi Hirsch & Roza (nee Motyovics) Eizikovics, who are not also descendants of my great-great grandmother Mindel, have tested.  They are sisters who are actually my double third cousins once removed; their grandparents were first cousins to one another as well as to my great grandfather Josef Joshowitz.  DNA I share with them can be attributed to Shmuel Tzvi & Roza Eizikovics.  Four of my mother's second cousins who are descendants of my great-great grandparents Chaim & Mindel (nee Eizikovics) Joshowitz have tested.  DNA shared with them (but not shared with Esther or JudithB) can be attributed to Chaim & Mindel Joshowitz.
Tested descendants of Shmuel Hirsch & Roza Eizikovics and Chaim & Mindel Joshowitz; those included in the analysis are in yellow

Josef & Esther Joshowitz

My grandmother's sister Ruth has tested, as has my mother's first cousin Scott.  DNA which I share with them can be attributed to my great grandparents Joseph and Esther (nee Rutner) Joshowitz--with the exception of DNA already attributed to Shmuel Tzvi Hirsch & Roza Eizikovics and Chaim & Mindel Joshowitz.
Tested descendants of Josef & Esther Joshowitz; those included in the analysis are in yellow

Mendel & Ita Rutner

My third cousin once removed, Ron, has tested.  I can attribute any DNA I share with him to my great-great-great grandparents, Mendel & Ita (nee Farkas) Rutner.
Tested descendants of Mendel & Ita Rutner; those included in the analysis are in yellow

Mother's Paternal Side

Shaul Dov & Elka Zubkis / Yeshaya & Zlota Tzipra Supkoff

My cousin Ben is both a third and a fourth cousin to me--his great grandparents were first cousins to one another.  DNA segments which I share with him can be attributed to our shared great-great-great grandparents, Shaul Dov & Elka Zubkis.  Segments shared with my mother's second cousin Pat can be attributed to my great-great grandparents Yeshaya & Zlota Tzipra (nee Brandman) Supkoff.
Tested descendants of Shaul Dov & Elka Zubkis and Zlota Tzipra & Yeshaya Supkoff; those included in the analysis are in yellow

Yehoshua Zev & Mira Lefand / Mira Halperin Lefand Marienhoff / Hillel & Pesha Riva Tolchin

My great-great-great grandmother (Mira Halperin Lefand Marienhoff) was married twice.  I'm descended from her second husband, Yehoshua Zev Lefand; my cousin Sue is descended from the second husband.  Therefore, any DNA I share with Sue can be attributed to Mira herself.  DNA shared with those descended from Mira and Yehoshua Zev (Myron, Marilyn, Ken, Myra & Sara) can be attributed to that couple.

Two of my mother's second cousins (Leslie & Sandy) as well as one of my third cousins (Mark) via my great-great grandparents Hillel & Pesha Riva (nee Lefand) Tolchin have tested.  DNA which I share with them, other than segments already attributed to Mira &/or Yehoshua Zev Lefand, can be attributed to these great-great grandparents.
Tested descendants of Mira Halperin Lefand Marienhoff and Yehoshua Zev and Mira Lefand and Hillel and Pesha Riva Tolchin; those included in the analysis are in yellow

Isadore & Molly Tolchin

My mother's first cousin Karen has tested.  Any DNA I share with her (other than DNA shared with relatives discussed above) can be attributed to my great grandparents, Isadore and Molly (nee Supkoff) Tolchin.
Tested descendants of Isadore & Molly Tolchin; those included in the analysis are in yellow

Lou & Minnie Tolchin

My mother has one brother, who has tested.  Any DNA I share with this uncle (other than DNA shared with relatives discussed above) can be attributed to my maternal grandparents.

Summary

Despite having tested so many relatives, there are still segments of my DNA which I cannot attribute to any ancestors beyond my parents.  But as more and more relatives test (some of which I don't find out about until they pop up as close matches), I'm able to fill in more gaps.  So stay tuned--I'm sure there will be an update at some point!

Note:  I'm on Twitter.  Follow me (@larasgenealogy).

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

15 comments:

  1. You've done a fantastic job on that, Lara!! It looks like you've got over 90% of your chromosomes mapped. It will be a tremendously useful tool for you and for others.

    Here as a good example, is how I can make immediate use of your map and the info you provided in this article:

    You and I have only have one matching segment greater than 10 cM. It's on Chromosome 1 between 81,741,872 and 101,159,333 and is 18.58 cM. My uncle also triangulates there, meaning that match is on my father's side with origins in Moldavia (Romania). When I go to GEDmatch and do a one-to-one comparison of my uncle and me, we both triangulate on that segment to 5 of the kits with your email address. Two are you, one is your father. One is an "S. Diamond", but the last one tells the story and is: *Berly, which from your analysis indicates that segment was passed to you from your g grandparents Avraham Hirsch and Tzivia Suttleman. And in fact, they show up in the correct position on your Chromosome Map (but you have them marked as gg grandparents, rather than just g).

    I and my uncle both have the same segment. You and I are definitely related somehow through your Hirsch or Suttleman sides. Whether we can make the connection genealogically with records is yet to be determined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly how this can be used. This side of my family is from Volhynia if that matches to your family at all. (Note that Hirsch is his middle name--Diamond/Diamant was the surname.)

      Delete
    2. We've got a hundred miles or so to explain.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, that's your Diamond or Suttleman side. Hirsch (Tsvi) is Avraham's middle name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And not to leave well enough alone, I've got to check the other side of the PDI. There is only one kit with an Israel Pickholtz email address on GEDmatch that also triangulates on that segment with all our people. It is labelled as: **0Pikholz - Kw - BHF

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to be able to do this with my kits. I have 9 siblings (1 more to test). I also have my paternal Aunt, my maternal Aunt and Uncle, a maternal 1c1r and at least 10 cousins (1st, 2nd and 3rd) that I have identified. I just can't wrap my head around the matching segments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, but what is your main reason for doing this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides pretty pictures? :)

      I can look at new matches and see which segments we share--and then see which ancestors are attributed to that segment. It can help me narrow down a potential connection.

      Delete
  6. That's quite incredible. Just how many people have you tested in order to be able to do this? I have only tested eight people, and my budget can't handle much more than that. Plus I don't have many more people to test!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tested a bunch, but many have voluntarily tested after seeing posts like this--and others tested unknown to me (or them of me) and popped up as decent matches.

      If you go back far enough, you'll always find someone to test! :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you Lara,

    You have given me several ideas about how to expand on the fledgling chromosome mapping efforts I have done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't understand why segments shared with Ben can be attributed to Shaul Dov & Elka Zubkis. Why can't Ben also share Zlota Tzipra's DNA with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! I was working to account for the double relationship and forgot Zlota Tzipra. (And I'm super-impressed that you read closely enough to catch that.) I'll update it in future iterations.

      Delete
  9. This is fascinating. I aspire to do this with the results from my tested family. Thanks for the resource.

    ReplyDelete